Knights 42-14 Featherstone Rovers: - Betfred Women's Super League

Published: 17 May, 2021 - 1:41 pm

York City Knights Ladies bagged their first win of the 2021 Women’s Super League season with a 42-14 victory over Featherstone Rovers.

Sinead Peach opened the scoring in the fifth minute. The York hooker raced over the whitewash from dummy half as Rhiannion Marshall added two more points with the boot.

The Knights continued to pile on the pressure as Savannah Andrade came within inches of her first try for York.

The winger powered down the left wing but was met by a barrage of Featherstone defenders just millimeters from the tryline.

With quarter of an hour gone, Grace Field scored her fourth try in two games. A wonderful pass from Marshall allowed Field to exploit a gap in Featherstone’s defence and extend York’s lead to 12-0.

Ten minutes later, things got even better for the Knights. A perfectly weighted grubber kick from Sinead Peach allowed Katie Langan to get over the whitewash.

Olivia Wood also stamped her name onto the scoresheet just moments later. The new signing was making her second appearance in York colours but that didn’t stop her from powering down the right flank and improving York’s lead to 20-0.

Rovers began to show some offensive intent and almost opened their account in the 33rd minute. However, a knock-on just before the whitewash cost them the try.

With four minutes remaining of the first half, York produced an incredible brace.

First, Langan scored her second of the game following a well-worked move from the Knights. Then, Savannah Andrade produced one of the tries of the game as she raced over 60 meters to get over the whitewash and put York 30-0 in front.

The second half began at around the same time as the torrential rain. The conditions became treacherous and it wasn’t long before it led to an injury as Field was forced to come off with a cut to her head.

Featherstone made the most of the conditions with Beth Blacklock getting over the try line to open the Rovers account. Olivia Grace soon scored Featherstone’s second to make it 30-8.

York soon found their feet again and extended their lead through Marshall. The forward picked up the ball 25 meters from the try line and powered over to make it 36-8.

Just 13 minutes later, Marshall scored her second. This was a near carbon copy of the first effort with an added dummy to fend off the Rovers defence.

Featherstone scored their third and final try of the game in the final moments of the contest. Blacklock bagged her second to make the final score 42-12.

The attention now turns back onto the Challenge Cup for the York City Knights. This Saturday, the team take on Castleford Tigers at the LNER stadium in a battle for a cup final place. 


Photo courtesy of Andy Nelson