Halifax keep Knights humble in pre-season clash: Sunday 19th January - Pre-Season

Published: 20 January, 2020 - 2:00 pm
TWO tries in the final ten minutes saw Halifax defeat York City Knights in the low winter sun at Bootham Crescent yesterday in a scrappy pre-season affair between the Betfred Championship rivals.
Halifax went in front from Shaun Robinson’s effort and, despite Matty Marsh’s score levelling matters, Fax secured victory with two late tries – Steve Tyrer and Matty Garside grabbing them.
Former Super League duo Tom Gilmore and Scott Grix provided the moments of quality in the kicking department to steer Fax to victory.
The tempo of the match was set early on with referee Mr Vella awarding three penalties in the opening five minutes, (nine were given in the first half alone) the second of which Halifax so nearly scored from.
York’s best early route to success was through the high kicking from their talismanic half-back Connor Robinson – formerly of Halifax – who sent spiralling bombs into the Fax half three times, none of which the visitors were able to hold onto, but the Knights couldn’t capitalise on the West Yorkshire side’s errors as the game remained scoreless at the break.
Halifax looked as if they’d found some offensive fluidity by forcing a drop-out early on after the restart, though the following set only produced a knock on. The Knights did threaten thereafter and Marcus Stock was held up in the face of some resistant defence, but chances were few and far between for both sides.
By the hour mark, the deadlock was finally broken. With Scott Murrell subbed off at the break, Gilmore took the lead kicking duties and sent a cross-field kick over to Robinson who just about managed to ground the ball in the corner. Tyrer then slotted over the difficult conversion.
Castleford Tigers dual registration winger Lewis Carr misjudged the kick from Robinson’s try but made amends with a stunning break, springing the Knights to life. Joe Porter then forced a deep knock on and from it Robinson’s grubber kick was picked up and touched down over the line by Marsh. Robinson levelled the scores with the successful kick.
The game opened up in the final ten minutes and it was Halifax that took advantage from that. It was another high kick to the corner which yielded the Fax try, this time down the right side, as Grix’s chip found the hands of make-shift winger Tyrer by the flag.
The scorer was unable to convert his own score but Fax finished strongly and were in again to secure the victory. Garside was the scorer this time, finding his way through a gap by the right of the sticks, with Tyrer adding the extras.
The Knights will look for an improved performance next Sunday, 26th January (3pm), when they take on Bradford Bulls in their third and final pre-season game at the Tetley’s Stadium, Dewsbury.
KNIGHTS: Marsh, Sharp, Hey, Salter, Wallis, Johnston, Robinson, Baldwinson, Jubb, Teanby, Washbrook, Porter, Clarkson.
Subs (all used): Brining, Green, Scott, Spears, Stock, Bardle (Tr), Brown (Tr), Carr (DR), Storey (DR). 
Tries: Marsh (68).
Goal: Robinson (1/1).
HALIFAX: Grix, Robinson, Tyrer, Woodburn-Hall, Broughton, Hirst, Carlile, Calcott, Garside, Brearley, Larroyer.
Subs (all used): Curtis Davies, Fairbank, Connor Davies, McGrath, Roberts, Hewitt.
Tries: Robinson (59), Tyrer (72), Garside (76).
Goals: Tyrer (2/3).
Isaac Poad Man of the Match: Chris Clarkson.
Attendance: 1,500 est.