Knights bashed in Blackpool: Saturday 18th May - Betfred Championship

Published: 19 May, 2019 - 12:34 pm

York City Knights endured a nightmare trip to the Blackpool Summer Bash yesterday, as they suffered a bruising defeat to a Dane Chisholm inspired Featherstone Rovers for the second time this season.

Head Coach James Ford handed debuts to all three midweek loan signings Harry Aldous (prop), Tyler Dupree (substitute forward) and Liam Harris (full back). Josh Jordan-Roberts, Mike Kelly and Jordan Baldwinson were missing from the team that won at Rochdale last week. Kevin Brown made his first league appearance in place of Judah Mazive, and Harry Carter returned after six weeks out in place of rested Kriss Brining.

It wasn’t a welcome return to action for Carter, who suffered a broken nose in his very first tackle!

For 38 minutes of the first half the Knights competed well with their more experienced Betfred Championship opponents, with nothing but an opportunistic 80 meter interception try from Dane Chisholm in the 23rd minute separating the teams. The game was changed when Rovers landed a double sucker punch just before half time though – Fast hands to the right edge saw Conor Carey cross, and from the restart Chisholm stepped through some tired defence before sending Luke Briscoe home for a 14-0 lead at the break.

The Knights needed to score first in the second half to have any chance of a fightback, but instead started a period of complete Rovers dominance where they enjoyed eleven consecutive sets of possession and scored five tries in a devastating 15 minute spell of high quality rugby league.

A cut out pass to the right wing saw Carey stroll over for his second try in the 50th minute, and from there the floodgates opened. Brad Day crashed over, taking four Knights defenders with him in the 56th minute, Alex Sutcliffe then forced his way over off the back of consecutive penalties on the hour mark, and fast hands to the right put Josh Hardcastle in. Insult was added to injury when Liam Harris spilled a huge spiral kick from Chisholm and Tom Holmes had an easy stroll over to make the score 42-0 in the 66th minute.

The onslaught finally subsided and the Knights eventually got a touch of possession, and a nice move out to the left created space for Perry Whiteley to cross and make sure York avoided a nilling.

Forward Joe Porter – York’s best player on the day – hit a great line 20 meters out and powered over Fev full back Ashton Goulding to score under the posts, making the final score 42-10 and giving the loud and proud travelling Knights fans something to cheer.

The Knights will now look to get their Betfred Championship play-off push back on track when they travel to Widnes Vikings next Sunday (26th May). Call the office now on 01904 876527 or email to book your place on the supporter’s bus for just £15.

Featherstone: Golding, Carey, Sutcliffe, Hardcastle, Briscoe, Chisholm, Holmes, Wheeldon, King, Makatoa, Day, Walters, Lockwood. Subs (all used): Davies, Cooper, Harrison, Ormondroyd.

Tries: Chisholm (23), Carey (38, 51), Briscoe (40), Day (56), Sutcliffe (60), Hardcastle (64), Holmes (66).

Goals: Chisholm (5/8).

Sin-bin: Wheeler (79).

Knights: Harris, Whiteley, Salter, Bass, Brown, Marsh, Robinson, Teanby, Jubb, Aldous, Stock, Hey, Spears. Subs (all used): Carter, Porter, Blagbrough, Dupree.

Tries: Whiteley (70), Porter (74).

Goals: Robinson (1/2).

Isaac Poad Man of the Match: Joe Porter

Attendance: 7,912