Knights Progress after Parkside test: Saturday 5th January - Pre-Season

Published: 7 January, 2019 - 3:58 pm

York City Knights progressed to the semi-finals of the Yorkshire Cup with an encouraging 34-4 victory over Hunslet Club Parkside on Saturday, as the 2019 pre-season schedule steps up a level.

The Knights paid Parkside the respect of fielding a strong team and were too fast and strong overall, but the National Conference League Premier Division Champions – who went undefeated throughout 2018 – matched them for enthusiasm and effort and it was a tougher game than the scoreline suggests.

Experienced heads Ben Cockayne and Graeme Horne made their first appearances of pre-season, while Captain Tim Spears will wait another week before returning. Forward Dave Petersen celebrated his new contract with an Isaac Poad Man of the Match performance.

York opened the scoring after just five minutes as Matty Marsh chimed into the attacking line from full back and dummied his way over. Connor Robinson added the first of five successful conversions of the afternoon for an early 6-0 lead. That lead was doubled in the 11th minute when Perry Whiteley rose highest to pull Robinson’s cross field kick out of the air to score a well taken try. A well executed catch and kick back infield from Ash Robson on the wing set Marsh up for his second try in the 24th minute.

The Knights became a touch sloppy in attack towards the end of the first half against a well capable Parkside team – for who Danny Rowse impressed behind a formidable forward pack – but nevertheless headed into the sheds 18-0 up at the break.

Three minutes into the second half, half back Ben Cockayne tracked across the Parkside defensive line before stabbing a well-timed kick through for Brad Hey to score next before Hunslet went on to enjoy their best spell of the match, forcing a number of repeat attacking sets on York’s line, to which James Ford’s men responded well.

Close season signing Marcus Stock hit a great line in the 62nd minute to stroll over under the posts and a well worked move from right to left created enough space for Hey to cross for his second ten minutes later.

Hunslet Club Parkside earned a well-deserved consolation try just two minutes from time after winger Micky Hoyle raced an interception 80 meters upfield, and Kieran Murphy crossed down the left edge three plays later. The conversion was missed and the final score was 34-4.

Elsewhere in the Yorkshire Cup 1st round, Dewsbury Rams beat Featherstone Rovers 20-14, Batley Bulldogs eased to a 36-0 victory over Hunslet, and Bradford Bulls edged out Halifax 26-16.

The Knights now face Batley Bulldogs in the first semi-final at the Fox’s Biscuits Stadium next Sunday, 13th January at 2pm. Tickets are priced at £13 Adults, £8 Concessions and free for U16’s. Call the Knights office on 01904 876527 to book your ticket.

Knights: Marsh, Mazive, Bass, Whiteley, Robson, Cockayne, Robinson, Dixon, Jubb, Teanby, Salter, Jordan-Roberts, Petersen. Subs (all used): Stock, Horne, Hey, Carter, Blagbrough, Rushworth, Brown.

Tries: Marsh (5, 24), Whiteley (11), Hey (43, 72), Stock (62).

Goals: Robinson (5/6).

Parkside: McShane, Squires, K Murphy, Waite, Hoyle, Hullock, Rowse, Foster, J Murphy, Stanley, Shulver, Thompson, Morgan. Subs (all used): Wheeler, Healy, Elliott, Boyce, York, Biscomb, Cunningham.

Try: K Murphy (78).

Referee: Tom Crashley.

Isaac Poad Man of the Match: Dave Petersen

Attendance: 1,504.